Sponsored By GenealogyBank

15 November 2014

Recorded Military Discharges?

The county recorder's office where your ancestor lived after his military discharge may have a registered copy of his discharge papers. Military men were encouraged--especially during the American Civil War era and after, to have a copy of their military discharge recorded at their local county recorder's office.

Could be a good place to get a copy of the record. Records for discharges during World War II and after are probably some type of photoreproduction of the document. Earlier ones are most likely handwritten transcriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment