Sponsored By GenealogyBank

01 May 2014

States Gave Confederate Pensions

If your ancestor fought for the South during the American Civil War, determine if he obtained a pension from the state in which he was living after the war. Many states that were in the Confederacy granted pensions to soldiers and their widows. These are state, not federal, records and usually are at the appropriate state archives. Many of these records have been microfilmed or digitized.


  1. www.floridamemory.com, under Collections, has Confederate Pension Applications, Old Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Home applications, and many other collections. I would BROWSE the collection all the way through, as not all names are in alphabetical order. Note that it appears Florida granted Confederate Pension(s) to Florida residents regardless of what State they served under.

  2. Look for the pension in the state where the old veteran was living, not the state where he enlisted in the Confederate service. Mississippi pension applications for soldiers and widows are digitized and found on the website for the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.