- Check FamilySearch.org to determine if the certificates are online there at no charge.
- Determine if the records have been microfilmed and are available via loan through the Family History Library.
- Check the appropriate state archives or state historical library website to see if the certificates are online there.
- Determine what the state office of vital statistics charges for a copy.
- Determine what the county or town charges for a copy.
Unless you are settling an estate or performing some type of legal work, a certified copy probably is not necessary. Check around before getting your copy from the first place that comes up when you perform a Google search.